The AAP certificate will be recognized by PA DPW Facility Licensing Representatives and by STARS Specialists. The credit does not need to be entered into a practitioner's individual Professional Development (PD) history. However if staff members would like to have their AAP e-learning certificate credit recorded in their PA Keys online PD history, they can follow the instructions on the ECELS website for submitting a self-learning module for review to ECELS. Go to www.ecels-healthychildcarepa.org, select the Professional Development section, then Self-Learning Modules. The steps include submitting a copy of the AAP certificate of e-learning completion, a completed ECELS Registration Form, and a $10 administrative fee to review the documents and enter the data in the PA Key system. Follow the instructions in the box headed "Important Reminders" next to the list of the self-learning modules.
The FREE e-learning modules available from the AAP are:
- Preventing and Managing Infectious Diseases in Early Education and Child Care – 3 hours of credit For the instructions, go to http://www.healthychildcare.org/HealthyFutures.html
- Medication Administration in Early Education and Child Care – 2 hours of credit For the instructions, go to http://www.healthychildcare.org/HealthyFutures.html. ECELS will provide an additional 1 hour of credit for those who successfully complete this self-learning module and have a licensed health care professional (nurse, doctor, or pharmacist) use the ECELS Medication Administration Skills Checklist that you can download from the ECELS website at www.ecels-healthychildcarepa.org. Go to Tools, go to Checklists and select Medication Administration Observation Checklist from the list. This checklist enables the health professional to verify that the person performs the required skills correctly.
- Reducing the Risk of SIDS in Child Care – 1 hour of credit. For more information and instructions, go to http://www.healthychildcare.org/sids.html
While supplies last, use your AAP certificate of completion to select one of these three valuable print resources that ECELS will send to your facility (1 resource per facility).
- Managing Infectious Diseases in Child Care and Schools, 3rd edition, 2013 (Authors Aronson, S and Shope T, published by the American Academy of Pediatrics)
- Model Child Care Health Policies, 5th edition, 2013 (Author Aronson, S, published collaboratively by the PA AAP-ECELS and the American Academy of Pediatrics
- Diapering Poster, revised 2013 edition 22 x 28 inch laminated, beautifully illustrated guide based on the procedure in Caring for Our Children: National Health and Safety Performance Standards for Early Care and Education Programs, 3rd edition, 2011.
Offer posted 7/23/2013